Andrew R. Harrison, MD
Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Neurosciences
Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Neurosciences
Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
Director, Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Service
Co-Director, Center for Thyroid Eye Disease
MD, University of Missouri
Residency, University of Minnesota
Neuro-Ophthalmology Fellowship, University of Minnesota
Oculoplastic Surgery Fellowship, Oregon Health Sciences University School of Medicine
Internship, Jewish Hospital
Patient Care Dr. Harrison specializes in ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery. His practice includes all patients with eyelid, tear duct and orbital disorders. He treats adults and children with the most advanced oculoplastic and orbital surgery techniques. His special interests include muscle spasm disorders of the eyelids and face; thyroid eye disease; eyelid reconstruction, and cosmetic eyelid surgery.
Dr. Harrison specializes in ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery. His practice includes all patients with eyelid, tear duct and orbital disorders. He treats adults and children with the most advanced oculoplastic and orbital surgery techniques. His special interests include muscle spasm disorders of the eyelids and face; thyroid eye disease; eyelid reconstruction, and cosmetic eyelid surgery.
Awards & Recognition
- Prolonging the duration of botulinum toxin
- New aesthetic surgical techniques
- Thyroid eye disease treatment
- Yang P, Toomey C, Lin J, Kikkawa DO, Korn BS, Harrison A. Beware of the Sneeze. Surv Ophthalmol. 2019 Apr 9. pii: S0039-6257(18)30310-2. doi: 10.1016/j.survophthal.2019.04.001. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Wang Y, Ryu CL, Mokhtarzadeh A, Lee M, Harrison A, McClelland CM. Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestration for Treatment of Retrolaminar Silicone Oil Migration. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Mar/Apr;35(2):e31-e34.
- Olson RM, Mokhtarzadeh A, McLoon LK, Harrison AR. Effects of repeated eyelid injections with botulinum toxin A on innervation of treated muscles in patients with blepharospasm. Current Eye Res. 2018; DOI: 10.1080/02713683.2018.1543707.
- Radke PM, Mokhtarzadeh A, Lee MS, Harrison AR. Medical Cannabis, a Beneficial High in Treatment of Blepharospasm? An Early Observation. Neuroophthalmology. 2017;41(5):253-258.
- Tang PH, Mettu P, Maltry AC, Harrison AR, Mokhtarzadeh A. Giant Cell Tumor of the Frontal Bone Presenting as an Orbital Mass. Ophthalmol Ther. 2017 Jun;6(1):215-220.
- Mokhtarzadeh A, Harrison AR, Maltry AC. Malignant Orbital Melanoma Associated with Oculodermal Melanocytosis. Ophthalmology. 2017 Apr;124(4):561.
- Mokhtarzadeh A, Massry GG, Bitrian E, Harrison AR. Quantitative efficacy of external and internal browpexy performed in conjunction with blepharoplasty. Orbit. 2017 Apr;36(2):102-109.
- Mettu P, Griffith M, Yohe S, Harrison AR. Nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin lymphoma presenting with unilateral orbital involvement. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Mar 24. [Published ahead of print].
- Mokhtarzadeh A, McClelland C, Lee MS, Smith S, Harrison AR. The bleph and the brain: the effect of upper eyelid surgery on chronic headaches. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Mar 26. [Published ahead of print].
- Radke PM, Maltry AC, Mokhtarzadeh A, Harrison AR. A unique ocular presentation of extragenital lichen sclerosus. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Mar 1. [Published ahead of print].
- Mokhtarzadeh A, Harrison AR. Controversies and Advances in the Management of Congenital Ptosis. Expert Review of Ophthalmology. 2015;10(1):59-63
- Mokhtarzadeh A, Lee EW, Barahimi BI, Harrison AR. Placement of an eyelid weight as an upper lid spacer for lagophthalmos. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2015;43(8):766-8.
- Teo AA, Mokhtarzadeh A, Cameron JD, Harrison AR. Late presentation of enlarging lower eyelid mass and muscle degeneration secondary to hyaluronic acid filler. Ophthal Plast Reconst Surg. 2015; Apr 22 [Epub ahead of print}
- Moss AM, Harrison AR, Lee MS. Patients with homonymous hemianopia become visually qualified to drive using novel monocular sector prisms. J Neuroophthalmol. 2014; 34(1):53-6.
- Park J, Yum HR, Kim MS, Harrison AR, Kim EC. Comparison of phaco-chop, divide-and-conquer , and stop-and-chop phaco techniques in microincision coaxial cataract surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2013; 39(10): 1463-9.
- O’Neill J, Grinager H, Smith SD, Silbley S, Harrison AR, Lee MS. Isopropyl alcohol skin antisepsis does not reduce incidence of infection following insulin injection. Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41(8):755-6.
- Pagan FL, Harrison A. A guide to dosing in the treatment of cervical dystonia and blepharospasm with Xeomin: A new botulinum neurotoxin a. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2012;18(5):441-5.
- Lee MS, Johnson M, Harrison AR. Gender differences in benign essential blepharospasm. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012; 28(3):169-70.
- Abel A, Brace JR, McKinney AM, Harrison AR, Lee MS. Practice Patterns and Opening Pressure Measurements Using Fluoroscopic Guided Lumbar Puncture. Am J Neuroradiol 2012 ;33(5):823-5.
- Dijkstal JM, Bothun ED, Harrison AR, Lee MS. Normal exophthalmometry measurements in a United States Pediatric Population. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;28:54-6.
- Park J, Lee MS, Harrison AR. Profile of Xeomin (Incobotulinumtoxin A) for the treatment of blepharospasm. Clin Ophthalmol 2011;Epub.
- Schneider D, Lee MS, Harrison AR, Sidman J. Excision of periorbital hemangiomas to correct visual abnormalities. J Facial Plastic Surg. 2011;13(3):195-8.
- Ringeisen Al, Harrison AR, Lee MS. Ocular and Orbital Pain for the headache specialist. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2010 Dec 4. (Epub ahead of print)
- Zaldivar R, Lee MS, Harrison AR. Eyelash Ptosis. In Weinberg D and Cohen A, ed. Ptosis. Springer. 2011.
- Zaldivar RA, Harrison AR. Orbit Imaging. Elsevier Encyclopedia of the Eye. 2010.
- Zaldivar RA, Harrison AR. Orbit Anatomy and Fractures. Elsevier Encyclopedia of the Eye. 2010.
- Harrison AR: Chalazia. In Kersten R ed. Curbside consultations in oculoplastics surgery. Slack Inc. 2010.
- Harrison AR: Eyelids and the Corneal Surface. In Krachmer JH, Mannis MJ and Holland EJ eds. Cornea. Elsevier. 2010.
Invited Oral Presentations at National and International Professional Meetings and Conferences
- “Small incision browlifting, “ Multi-specialty Facial Cosmetic Surgery Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2015.
- “Small incision browlifting,” World Ophthalmology Congress, Tokyo, Japan, 2014.
- “Management of congenital lacrimal duct obstructions after failed probing,” World Ophthalmology Congress, Tokyo, Japan, 2014.
- “Management of congenital ptosis with poor function,” World Ophthalmology Congress, Tokyo, Japan, 2014.
- “Fractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Perioptic Lesions,”, American Academy of Ophthalmology (Neuro-ophthalmology free paper session), Orlando, Florida 2011.
- “Pediatric Orbital Fractures,” Oregon Health Sciences Visiting Professor, Portland, Oregon 2011.
- “Beyond Botox,” Oregon Health Sciences Visiting Professor, Portland, Oregon 2011.
- “Thyroid Eye Disease,” Oregon Health Sciences Visiting Professor, Portland, Oregon 2011.
- “Update on Lacrimal Surgery,” The John L Wobig Lecture in Oculoplastic Surgery, Portland, Oregon 2011.
- “Retro-orbicularis Oculi Lift for Paralytic Brow Ptosis- Commentary,” Oculofacial Plastic Surgery Subspecialty Day Meeting, Chicago, IL, 2010.
American Board of Ophthalmology